“World Glaucoma Week is a unique initiative that puts a spotlight on glaucoma as the leading cause of preventable irreversible blindness worldwide. The prompt diagnosis and treatment of glaucoma can prevent needless vision impairment, however, so many are unaware they have the disease or may not have access to much-needed care. As the numbers are expected to increase exponentially, it is a growing public health concern that needs more attention and effective eye health systems. The active coming together of the international community with colleagues and key stakeholders through events to stimulate awareness and dialogue is a show of our shared commitment to improving glaucoma care for patients around the world.”
Neeru Gupta MD PhD MBA
President, World Glaucoma Association
Glaucoma Awareness Slide Deck
Download the Glaucoma Awareness Slide Deck here.
- Involve your glaucoma patients as you organize a screening event in your local institute/hospital
- Give a lecture to a patient support group
- Participate in radio & TV shows to talk about glaucoma and to answer questions
- Contact newspapers to publish information about glaucoma
- Run a social media campaign
More details about World Glaucoma Week and many examples of glaucoma awareness activities around the world are to be found on the WGW website.