6th Consensus Meeting:
Ocular Blood Flow in Glaucoma
Fort Lauderdale, FL, May 2, 2009
edited by Robert N. Weinreb and Alon Harris
2009. 3 tables and 27 figures of with 1 in full color. Hardbound.
ISBN-10: 90 62992 222 6.
Published by: Kugler Publications.
Click here for more information on all publications in the Consensus series.
Summary Consensus Points
- Anatomy and physiology
- Clinical measurement of ocular blood flow
- Clinical relevance of ocular blood flow (obf) measurements including effects of general medications or specific glaucoma treatment
- Should measurements of ocular blood flow be implemented into clinical practice?
- What do we still need to know?
Anatomy and physiology
- Anatomy of blood from the heart to the eye
- Blood supply of the optic nerve
- Overview of blood flow regulation in general
- The mediators of autoregulation
- The anatomic underpinning of ocular blood flow control
- The ocular vasculature and its role in regulating blood flow to the optic
nerve and retina
Clinical measurement of ocular blood flow
- Color Doppler imaging
- Laser Doppler flowmetry and scanning laser flowmetry
- Retinal vessel analyzer
- Blue field entopic stimulation
- Laser interferometric measurement of fundus pulsation
- Dynamic contour tonometry and ocular pulse amplitude
- Pulsatile ocular blood flow (POBF) analyzer
- Laser speckle method (laser speckle flowgraphy)
- Digital scanning laser ophthalmoscope angiography
- Bi-directional laser Doppler velocimetry and simultaneous vessel
- Doppler optical coherence tomography
- Retinal oximetry
Clinical relevance of ocular blood flow (obf) measurements including effects of general medications
or specific glaucoma treatment
- What is the evidence supporting a role for ocular blood flow in glaucoma
- Clinical evidence derived from different measurement parameters
- Evidence from experimental animal studies
- What disease mechanisms lead to impaired blood flow in glaucoma?
- Ocular versus systemic causes
- Systemic factors
- Vascular dysregulation/perfusion instability
- What is the impact of medication and other modifiable factors on ocular
- IOP-lowering topical medication
- Systemic drugs
- Ocular surgery, exercise
- Does modulation of blood flow alter glaucoma progression?
- Glaucoma and systemic vascular disease
- Systemic disease and glaucoma patients
- Cardiovascular diseases
Should measurements of ocular blood flow be implemented into clinical practice?
- Interpreting clinical studies
What do we still need to know?
- Ocular blood flow and visual function in glaucoma patients
- Ocular perfusion pressure and prevalence and progression of glaucoma
- Ocular blood flow and optic nerve head structure
- The relationship between intraocular pressure and ocular blood flow
- The relationship between cerebrospinal fluid pressure and glaucoma
- Future research
- Summary of consensus points
- Index of authors