The ICO-World Glaucoma Association Three Month Fellowship Program is organized to help promising young ophthalmologists from developing countries improve their practical skills and broaden their perspectives of ophthalmology and glaucoma.
WGA stays committed to giving young ophthalmologists from sub-Saharan Africa the opportunity to expand knowledge and skills in glaucoma, to preserve vision and prevent blindness in their home country. That is why we are delighted to announce we continue with the program for 2021:
- attendance of WGC-2021 in Kyoto, Japan
- 3 months of training at a Japanese institute (in English)
Requirements & Application Process
This ICO-WGA Three-Month Fellowship opportunity is open to qualified candidates from sub-Saharan Africa who specialize in Glaucoma. The program is part of the ICO Three-Month Fellowship Program.
- Award: US$6000 to help cover living expenses and return travel.
- ICO-WGA Three-Month Fellowships are awarded biannually, in years when the World Glaucoma Congress takes place.
- ICO-WGA Fellows are invited to attend the biannual World Glaucoma Congress and will be referred to host institutes in this country for their three-month observerships.
- For applications please contact email@example.com.
- Residency training must be completed before applying for the fellowship.
- Candidates must come from sub-Saharan Africa.
- Specialist exam in ophthalmology must be successfully passed.
- Applicant must be under 40 years of age at the time of applying.
- Applicant must return to home country after the training, resume previous positions, and apply the knowledge gained during the fellowship.
- Applicant must be reasonably fluent in the language of the fellowship training center.
- The ICO recommends that candidates pass one or more ICO exams.
- Applicants from countries with ophthalmologic societies that are Members of the ICO will receive special consideration.
How to apply
- Please review Frequently Asked Questions before contacting the ICO Fellowship Committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline for applications is January 31, 2020